WHAT: The Special Education Funding Commission will hold its next public hearing to receive testimony and discussion on the current formula for distributing special education payments to school districts in Pennsylvania.
The Special Education Funding Commission, which was established in Act 3 of 2013 to review and make recommendations regarding special education funding, has been reconstituted to review the current funding formula. A provision in Act 3 required the commission to meet every five years and reevaluate the state of special education funding in Pennsylvania. Act 16 of 2019, which became law in June, directed the commission to focus its review on the formula which distributes funding for special education services to school districts.
WHO: Special Education Funding Commission, co-chaired by Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Pat Browne (R-Lehigh), House Education Committee Chairman Curtis Sonney (R-Erie) and Education Secretary Pedro Rivera. The hearing will be held in the district of commission member Senator Pam Iovino (D-Allegheny/Washington).
Tentatively scheduled to testify include:
- James Wagner, Executive Director of ARIN IU #28
- Matt Thomas, Director of Special Education for Westmorland IU 7
- Thomas Shetterly, Director of Finances, Intermediate Unit 1
- John Callahan, PA School Boards Association
- Hannah Barrick, PA Association of School Business Officials
- Chelsea Campolongo, Business Manager, South Park School District
- Robert Geletko, Director of Business, Mt. Lebanon School District
- Ann Herrmann, Executive Director, Pittsburgh School District
- Cindy Duch, Director of Parent Advising, PEAL Center
WHEN: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 1 p.m.
WHERE: Moon Township School District Central Administrative Office
8353 University Boulevard
Moon Township, PA 15108
We invite the media to attend and cover this event.
Vicki Wilken (Senator Browne) firstname.lastname@example.org – 717-787-1349
Matt Moyer (Senator Browne) email@example.com – 717-787-1349
Brooke Haskell (Rep. Sonney) firstname.lastname@example.org – 717-260-6351
Nicole Reigelman (Secretary Rivera) email@example.com – 717-705-8642