Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on
Education, Workforce, Community & Economic Development
Monday, April 4, 2016
Room 8E-B East Wing
The Senate Appropriations Education, Workforce, Community & Economic Development Subcommittee will hold its first hearing on April 4, 2016. The Education, Workforce and Community & Economic Development Subcommittee’s Majority Chair is Senator Lloyd Smucker and its Minority Chair is Senator John Blake.
The hearing will focus on:
- Proposed revisions to funding for charter school special education students.
- Proposed revisions to funding for Cyber charter school students.
- Implementation of a reconciliation process to require charter schools & cyber schools to refund money to their sending school districts if the charter or cyber charter schools’ audited expenditures are less than its tuition revenue.
Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Pat Browne and Democratic Appropriations Committee Chairman Vincent Hughes established this subcommittee structure within the Senate Appropriations Committee to allow for a more thorough review of department and agency spending beyond what was possible during Senate Appropriations Committee budget hearings.
Subcommittee meetings will be held every Monday of session weeks from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 8E-B East Wing. Each subcommittee will be charged with:
- Performing increased administrative and program area analysis.
- Developing initiatives to promote efficiencies in program administration and delivery.
- Developing and analyzing Unified Program Area Budget Statements.