Senate Bill 920 would require monitors upon change of ownership
The Senate yesterday (June 19) unanimously approved a bill introduced by Senator Pat Browne that would require carbon monoxide monitors in residential properties.
Senate Bill 920 will require homeowners, upon the sale of their home, to disclose to the seller if the structure is equipped with a carbon monoxide detector in the vicinity of each bedroom and the fossil-fuel appliance or heater.
The provisions of SB 920 require multifamily dwellings to install carbon monoxide detectors in the vicinity of bedrooms and the fossil fuel appliance or heater within one year of the effective date of the Act. The Pennsylvania Building Code requires all newly constructed homes and certain existing homes with fossil fuel burning heaters or appliances and/or an attached garage to install carbon monoxide detectors. These requirements are similar to code requirements for smoke detectors.
“Senate Bill 920 is intended to protect our citizens from the dangers of carbon monoxide gas. This odorless, colorless and tasteless gas kills approximately 400 people each year and sends more than 20,000 to emergency rooms,” Senator Browne said. “The best way to address this danger is prevention through the installation of carbon monoxide detectors.”
SB 920 now goes to the House of Representatives for consideration.